Fellow Gurnay Club Members,


It is five o’clock PM on Sunday, October 11th and I have just unplugged the timer.  As you can see by the accompanying race report, thirty five of the thirty seven birds that were sent to the race made it through the traps.  I feel very good about this.


For those of you that were not here, we had some weather issues to deal with and had to revert to plan “B” which was to bring them back to the 200 mile release point and to fly on Saturday instead of Friday, as planned.


We were able to have the show Thursday afternoon with all thirty seven birds participating.  Alan Dyar, with assistance from Michael Anderson chose 09GURNAY647 DC Hen that was the entry of Ray Gajewski as BEST of SHOW with Hal Conn’s 09GURNAY625 Bronze Cock as Best Opposite Sex. Two beautiful birds.


Michael then judged the eyesign class and chose David Meyers’ 09GURNAY661 BB Hen as Best.  She was also the second best hen in the show…a real quality bird.


The birds were loaded into the race crates and were off to the intended release point, with son John doing the driving, only to run into rain all the way, thus the decision to stop short and hold over to Saturday.  Actually, the decision was made earlier, based on the weather forecast, but we were holding out hope as long as possible hoping it would change in our favor.


Saturday, we woke up to a very heavy cloud cover but could see on the radar map that the back edge of the front was only about thirty miles to thee west and the clouds were breaking up at the intended release point so we turned them up at 8:00 into partly cloudy skies and a light north west wind.  We were expecting them home by 1:00 PM.


Hal Conn, Bruce Kuhlman, Alan and Carol Dyar, Michael Anderson, Dave Hunter, David Meyers, my wife Dianne and I attended the festivities and, beginning Thursday morning, we stayed busy showing pigeons, talking pigeons, eating, racing pigeons, eating, handling pigeons, more eating, sight seeing and eating again.  We stayed busy and really enjoyed three days of comradery topped off with an exciting race.


At 12:34, eighteen (18) birds came out of the north, made a half circle and hit the landing board as one. Eleven seconds separated the first fifteen birds across the scanners and, had I not spooked the others up, all would have clocked within 15-16 seconds.  A few minutes later we had a single arrive with a Cooper ’s hawk five feet behind it.  I never saw a pigeon run across a landing board so fast but it made it and the hawk flew off.  It hung around though as every so often the blue jays would tell on it but it never showed itself to us again. By days end, we had thirty one birds home with four coming in the next morning.  The first bird across the scanner, again, belonged to Ray Gajewski. It was 09GURNAY648, a gorgeous Bronze Cock  Of special note was the fact that, of David Meyers’ entry of twelve. birds, eleven went to the race, eight were in the first drop and all eleven are home.  David is our Newsletter Editor and a relative newcomer to the racing pigeon sport  and most of his Gurnay breeders were flown in last year’s race.


All in all, we had one very successful weekend.  Another report will be coming with minutes of our meeting, etc.  One thing worthy of note.  The officers did vote to use some of the excess in our treasury to add five $100 prizes to this year’s race and the race paid nine places.  This won’t be done every year but when we can, we will.





[ Jack Welling ]